Monday, June 20, 2011

Unplanned 30s

You know how you plan your life thinking ok I'll go to school (given the opportunity to go in the first place). Then perhaps I'll see if I go to college, or you know find something I like and do it. Then maybe try out graduate school (again, if you get that chance). Then maybe get a better job - in the process somewhere you get get married - for some maybe even have a kid, but mostly not. You pretty much plan out your 20s.

And then it hits you - that you never planned for your 30s! What happens after the marriage, the degrees, that job - then what?! Real life kinda hits right around then. You realize that you're totally disillusioned by what you thought was your life's mission. You hate your job. You realize relationships are WAY MORE work than you had EVER imagined - in fact it's another full time job ON TOP of your job. And BAM! You're almost 30 and you realize - crap, I have no freakin clue what the hell I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

So begin, the 'Unplanned 30s" - that phase of your life that comes after your 20s but seemed so far away throughout your 20s that you just didn't bother with it. Remember when you said, "Yea man, that dude was like 30 or something," describing someone who was "30 or something"? Well... now you're it.

So - as a soon to be 30-year-old, I hereby commence this journey, for anyone who will join it. I have no idea where I'm headed but I'm in the process of figuring it out. I got engaged exactly one year ago today, so marriage is looming ahead. My career is... hmm... a long story. I'm obviously not doing anything I'm passionate about. But I'm on this journey. And heck, it's unplanned, but here goes!





1 comment:

  1. Journey to passion is a trial and error process...if you've started ... you'll get there !!!

    ReplyDelete