Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Never Too Late to Learn to Ride a Bike!

First things first, thanks to my fantastic and amazing new friend, Zeke, for being such an awesome teacher, for being so patient and so immensely committed to the cause. You now hold a permanent place in my life as the guy who taught me how to ride a bicycle.

Zeke and me!  Pic by Ada Williams Prince 

Yep - at 29, I didn't know how to ride a bike. Mind you, I'm still no expert. In fact, without an inclination, I can't even get momentum yet. But I got on a bike and with Zeke's help, I learned to first merely balance without my feet, and then, to start pedaling and taking control. I did it mostly on a grassy hill - but also made it to a road once. Not bad for - about maybe 1.5 hours of practice? Yes, Zeke is quite the king!

Since Monday, June 20, 2011, I have been part of the Rockwood Institute's Leadership Training for people working in national security and human rights. It's a training with 24 of the coolest people in the country - from all sorts of backgrounds, all kinds of expertise and tons of diverse experience. (Zeke is one of the many people I've had the fortune of meeting this week). I can't really explain what the learning has been so far, except to say that it's almost had a subconscious impact. I feel like I don't need to write about it - because it will continue to keep coming back to me in my life experiences. And better to share it then!

One thing I can share though - the ability to admit when I'm proud of something. I'm proud that I started to bike, at 29, and managed somewhat. I'm also proud that I'm finally writing. My fiance, Amyn, kinda my backbone really, told me, write just coz you want to write, not coz you want anyone to read. So I write!:)




1 comment:

  1. Never too late to try anything...:) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete