Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Arch Nemesis... Cooking... GRRRRRR

I don't know why I have this relationship with cooking. Over the years it's become worse. I used to cook just fine when I was at college. In fact, once, I cooked for 20 people. Two differrent kinds of biryanis, even a carrot halwa. It was intense. But fun.

And then I have no idea what happened. Part of it could've been the fact that when I moved back home to work in Pakistan after grad school, there was enough good healthy food around me to not have to worry about food. But I'm realizing now that I'm living alone - that I have a major contention with the whole process of cooking. I cook - it turns out pretty ok even - but I just can't eat it. Yes, yes, naturally it's probably not that "ok" then but it really is - I eat it, and even enjoy... but only once. The next time round, I'm thinking - nah, much easier to heat up that frozen bean burrito.

So today, I'm going on a mission. My fiance has given me a plan - to finish up all the frozen food in my fridge, and to promise myself not to eat out. Then, when I'm driven by hunger - I'll look up whatever's in the fridge and come up with something to cook. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Just something to cook. I'm sure there'll be TONS of misses first, but heck - I have to follow the plan and eventually, who knows, I might even be able to make more edible things. (Either that or I'll bomb!)

But so it begins. Today, I'm gonna get rid of what's there. I have some frozen hot dogs from TJ's so I'll mix them up with some frozen veggies, put together noodles and Ragu. And that will be my meal. It's not super healthy - but it's something I make.

I'll let you know if it works. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment