Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Kyrgyz Chronicles - Carmeeeeennnnnnnn!

You may be wondering why there's been such a long break - or not, because you're probably not even aware about the existence of this blog. Either way, I blame it entirely on the winter. I thought Boston was cold... I didn't know that -18C was even possible. Brrr! So I have succumbed to become a hermit in Bishkek - at least until the sun shines again!

On the one occasion I did get out, it was to see the French opera, Carmen - performed in Russian. Naturally, I didn't understand any of it, except the one part where the lead sings, "CARMEEEEEENNNNNNN" with a whole lot of passion. That was about all the passion there was in the show actually. This is the second opera I've been to here (the first was The Magic Flute - which was fantastic). Unfortunately this one wasn't as good, primarily because the actress playing Carmen seemed so bored of life most of the time. But on the other hand, the opera house, although super cold, is gorgeous. And just for kicks, here's a clip from the end of the Second Act (it may have been the First??). We left after the Second of Four Acts. No really the opera was good... it was Carmen. She just was unforgiveable. But oh well, enjoy the clip and hopefully once the snow melts, I'll come out of my "hermitude".

No comments:

Post a Comment