Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Kyrgyz Chronicles - So it Begins...

Finally! I have internet at home! Hallelujah! So the journey can no officially begin.

See the line of lights? That's Bishkek from the plane.
Who would have thought that the thing that I would miss the most would be the SMS sound on my phone (it's a weird bus noise that most of my family absolutely hates). The sound generally meant that the boy was texting (:-( ). A part of me wants to start a countdown to the number of days when I get back to that life (him!) - but then another part of me (the larger part I hope!) realizes that each on of these days that come in the next 6 months, will be such a unique experience that I should not even think about the ending yet. At the end of these months, another beautiful life might be starting, but until then - this is probably the only time I will ever have to be with... me. And although this state of "dissettlement" sometime really gets annoying, I know it's also a period of learning and experience that has really come as a blessing!

Ok enough emotionality and on to the real stuff! Bishkek is... interesting. My first impression, naturally started from the plane. When you look down, the first most noticeable thing is that there really aren't that many lights. Now, I come from Karachi, which USED TO BE "roshniyon ka shehar" (city of lights) and even though we're in dismal conditions back home now, there are still TONS of lights when you land there. In Bishkek, that was an early sign that the city is REALLY DARK. In fact, at work, they gave us flashlights to monitor our path on the walk home because the pavements are uneven and there are 4-ft waterholes on either side - pretty Soviet! So I keep a flashlight in my purse, which has so far come in handy.

US Air Force planes at the Manas "transition" center!
The second most noticeable thing at the airport were the numerous US Army airplanes! It was a bit much quite honestly, to see the first thing at Manas International Airport, be the US Army planes. Kyrgyzstan has a huge US Army base (which they call a transition center, but really it's a base). Bishkek, like most capital cities, is FILLED TO THE BRIM with expats too - but the planes were a bit obnoxious.

Also - EVERYTHING here is in Russian! I will need to pick it up - or I'll be in trouble!

Over the weekend, I'll take pictures of the apartment I'm in and show you why my friend accurately said that it resembles the bachelor pad of a post-Soviet commie dude! Also - promise to post more pics in general!

Onwards!



No comments:

Post a Comment