Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Kyrgyz Chronicles - Small Victories

Main road to market or word - pretty Islamabad-esque!
I managed to get groceries without help! I feel supremely cool! As promised - pictures!

Local flower shop!
Look what I found on the way!!!
Also, I have amazing stalking abilities too it seems. When I left my apartment I saw a little girl carrying trash - I've been trying to figure out what the hell to do with the trash... so I decided to follow her. Just walked around behind her at a distant, felt very spy-y. Anti-climax though - the trash bins are across the street, actually on the main road. But I was pleased with my prudence, call it whatever else you may!

Crepes - although they're eaten with just powdered sugar.
Local market!
And then the adventure to the local market! The markets look exactly like anything in Pakistan would - like Sunday bazaar - all fresh food! Awesome after eating plastic for so long. I discovered that if I make my hand into a plate and pretend to putting salt, people will understand I'm looking for salt. Once I get the salt, I just have to gesture salt and pepper - and people will get that if I just bought salt, I naturally want pepper! It worked out. Most people have calculators, so they just show me the amount on it, and voila! I have groceries! With most other things, it was point and shoot really.

The one thing we have in every culture - samosa/empanada!
It's not all hits though. I bought what looked like a meat bread for lunch, and when I heated it, it smelled SO BAD that I couldn't eat it. I don't know what kind of meat it was but MAN. Damn. Unfortunately the only other thing I had was a sandwich which turned out to be ham, so I didn't eat it because aside from the fact that I can't, I just don't like the way ham smells either. So I ended up eating fruit and cake. This is a land of cakes man. They have so much cake it's crazy - it means I will have to exercise SERIOUS self control. (Wedding in 6 months man!!!)
Can you almost taste the freshness?!

I could potentially be going to Naryn today, a city in the south. It's a 5 hr drive away. Will keep you posted if it happens!





3 comments:

  1. great blog Af. having fun reading the travelogue. keep 'em coming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow u having fun man, good reporting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! enjoy the ride babes, love reading ur stuff :)

    ReplyDelete