Friday, November 11, 2011

The Kyrgyz Chronicles - Political Correctness or Culture?


Every culture has its nuances that either seem awe-inspiring or just plainly strange. Lately I’ve been wondering where the line lies between culture and political correctness.

For example, if someone can’t speak the local language, then in most circumstances, people go out of our way to speak the common language and make them feel included. (Naturally, this is IF everyone does speak a common language). I’ve seen that in Pakistan, Dubai as well as in the US. But in Kyrgyzstan, that’s not the case. If you’re with a group of people who all speak Russian, they will go ahead and have their conversations in Russian, even if they know you can’t understand a word. Mind you, there’s no deliberate rudeness – if they need to give you some context about something related to you, or if they’re talking about someone you know in common, they will translate it. But if that’s not the case, generally, they’d just go on with their lives. It’s a very need-to-know kind of communication.

Initially, I thought, maybe it’s a cultural thing. But maybe our need to include, or be included is merely political correctness – not really culture.

On the one hand, I think the need-to-know thing makes sense. If someone is not going to have the context, and it would need a whole new explanation to provide the context, then why waste the time and energy? I mean, I’m sure if things were translated word to word, and even if everyone spoke in a common language, the “outsider” or non-local would probably just sit, nod and smile, not really contribute much anyway.

On the other hand, how else would the cultural knowledge transfer?

Maybe it boils down to personalities. I’ve now been on both sides of the table – even within my immediate family we speak either English (among siblings) or Urdu (with parents) and I personally feel awkward not to speak in a common language that is understood across the board (generally Urdu) when we’re all together. But then again, perhaps my family and I have all been in the PC culture for way too long.

I suppose I’ll continue with over-explaining and boring the hell out of people! But for those who don’t want to, I guess you can’t really hold it against them… right?

2 comments:

  1. Political correctness? I would put it down to good manners to try to make someone feel at home. But of course manners also vary from culture to culture. Ok, so if ever I visit Kyrgyzstan and run into a bunch of RUssian speakers - (what other language do they speak in?) - I will just sit in a corner and make faces to keep me busy :-/ Thanks for the info. That's the fascinating thing about travelling. You never get this kinda info from any tourism brochures. This kind of differences make the world an interesting place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They mostly speak Russian and in some of the rural areas they speak Kyrgyz. But the majority is Russian - they're making attemopts to preserve the Kyrgyz language though. And don't make faces bhai - it's really just... a thing, I think!

    ReplyDelete